100 Day Countdown - A Plan For Goal Setting


So far on all of my posts, I have been counting up - starting each title with the number of the days that I have been walking this journey with you, the readers, on this blog.

I realized that as the numbers tick higher, it seemed a bit daunting to look back and be disappointed in myself at what I HAVEN'T done in the last 100 or so days.  Mainly, that I haven't lost a ton of weight, that I haven't bucked down enough to get done what I need to.

There are a whole lot of issues with that paragraph - I KNOW, I KNOW.  I know that I should concentrate on all the positive things I've accomplished, at how much better I feel, and at how much I've enjoyed the process.  I know that weight is not necessarily a determining factor of health, and that life isn't about what you look like and that it's what's inside that counts.  I know all of that, but I JUST WANT TO BE LESS FAT, OKAY?

But I also know that it's of my own doing, or lack thereof (to a certain extent).  I am intelligent enough to understand that being a real life cookie monster means that I eat things that other people don't eat, and that means that I won't lose weight as fast.  Can we move past this, please?

ANYWAY, I have decided, instead, to focus on a goal with a countdown to try to motivate myself to make better choices and form better habits in order to set myself up for success with an end goal in mind.

I have told you before that I am a coach with Team Beachbody, and last year, I participated in the awesome experience of Beachbody's Coach Summit - a conference where... I can't even count how many... coaches get together for a weekend of workouts, motivational speeches, and fun times meant to improve both yourself and your business.  Summit truly changed my life, and although I'm not where I thought I would be a year later, I am way, way better off that I WOULD have been if not for this conference.  Why am I telling you all this?  Because I am 100 DAYS away from the 2017 Coach Summit, this year in Nashville!
Nashville's Coach Summit Super Workout in 2015

I would really like, this year, to be thinner and physically more fit before this conference than I am now, 100 days out.  So this week, I am setting some big goals!

I'd like to challenge you to make some goals with me.  It's Spring, so usually there are plenty of things to aim for.  Want to fit into a particular dress for a wedding or a reunion?  Want to tone up or feel more confident in your bathing suit before summer?

Pick something!

Throughout this last year, I have focused on self-improvement through a variety of different efforts, and although I'm not where I want to end up in any avenue of my life yet, I have discovered many things about myself in helping me to figure out who I am and how to approach tasks.

Because of that, I have learned, that for ME, I need the following things in order for me to stick with healthier choices:


  1. A clear goal, with a clear deadline.  
  2. Specific rules to follow, with mini-goals for smaller chunks of time.
  3. Implementing strategies to improve my mental well-being (in addition to physical).
  4. A support system made up of friends and family.
  5. Methods of being held accountable.
Maybe those five list items will help you, too.  I'm going to set out my goals below in case they can help get you started.  Too tired to think that hard?  Go ahead and steal mine!  ðŸ˜‰

Item 1 - A clear goal, with a clear deadline.
You need to create a goal that is both measurable and realistically achievable.  For me, it's this:  In 100 days, I want to lose at least ten pounds and two inches from my waist.  

Item 2 - Specific rules to follow, with mini-goals for smaller chunks of time.
I am going to make a goal for each week, in which I will choose something to DROP from my life and something to REPLACE it with.  For example, one week, I will drop all soda and sugary drinks, and replace them with infused water.  Another week, I will drop all bread and replace it with whole wheat crackers or lettuce wraps.  I am going to TRY to keep these changes cumulative and keep going past a week as I create new goals, but ultimately, each week I will follow the rules for that week no matter what.  I'm hoping this will help me to create some better habits.  

Item 3 - Implementing strategies to improve my mental well-being (in addition to physical).
In the theme of breaking goals into weekly chunks, I am going to choose a positive habit to ADD each week to improve mental well-being.  One week it may be positive affirmations, another week it may be spending time outdoors daily.  

Item 4 - A support system made up of friends and family.
This one is pretty self-explanatory.  You need to tell your friends and family what your goals are and be able to count on them NOT to sabotage you by pressuring your or guilting you into bad decisions.  If there are people in your life that you know won't be supportive, do your best to stay away from them during your challenge, and supplement your social time with people who will be a positive influence!

Item 5 - Methods of being held accountable.
For me, the biggest one is this blog.  (People do read this, right?!?!?) Typing it out, sharing my goals, and my plan, helps me be more likely to stick to it.  I would LOVE to have an accountability partner where we can talk to each other daily to keep on track.  Having loved ones who aren't afraid to tell you when you are about to break your rules is also helpful (Um, honey, I'm not telling you what to do, but, do you really want to go get ice-cream when you said no dairy this week?)

Accountability action one - this week, I'm creating my mini-goals, and I'll be laying them out for you.  Hit me up to make sure I'm following them - I really will appreciate it!  Good luck on crushing your own goals - and let me know how you do!  




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Introduction

Day 76 - I Have A Fever... And The Only Cure Is More Girl Scout Cookies

Day 23 - Daring To Fast Like Daniel