Day 21 - A New Year's Resolution Is More Than A One-Liner!

Happy New Year!  The slate is wiped clean, all is new and fresh, right?  Well, no...  If the slate were wiped clean, my body should have returned to a pre-birthing-children, maybe age 21 version of myself BEFORE I start talking about weight loss goals.  The truth is, January 1st just sounds like a really nice day to start trying again, so we make this fancy term "resolution" come to life.

Yesterday, I told you that the Merriam-Webster dictionary defines the term "resolution" as "the act or process of resolving" and breaks it down further into seven sub-categories.  I also promised that we would take a closer look into those first three sub-categories in order to actually structure a resolution into one that has a good possibility, with structure and support, to be one that lasts.

I don't think that it will be a surprise to you that my 2017 resolution will involve weight loss.  That is my biggest struggle, and it is one that is super important to me.  Of course, I want to look... not necessarily skinny, but SMALLER at least, but it's more than that.  I want to be healthier - to have more energy, to be able to move around easier, to fit more comfortably in most any piece of clothing, and to have more confidence and less insecurity.  Let's make it broader.  I want to be an elderly person who can still DO things and is AROUND longer than the average person, but with a QUALITY OF LIFE that is amazing.

I say all this as I'm sitting at the computer, typing, with a can of Easy Cheese and third of a sleeve of Ritz Crackers.  Think I'm joking?  HERE -
Hey, I've NEVER ONCE claimed to be perfect, this is real life, right?

I've had the same problems as many of you.  I think weight loss has been my resolution for the better part of the last decade and a half, and I've tried, and I've made changes, and I've done a lot... but I haven't stuck with anything for the whole year.  But part of that is also how I made my resolution, which is why I'm changing the game plan, and now I have YOU to hold me more accountable!

A New Year's Resolution is more than a one-liner.  I think that's why so many of us have been failing.  So let's build this thing!  Here, again, are the first four sub-categories in the definition of "resolution:"
  a :  the act of analyzing a complex notion into simpler ones
  b :  the act of answering :  solving  
  c :  the act of determining

A - This means breaking it down into smaller, simpler components.  Instead of saying "weight loss" is my resolution, what does that really mean?  What do I really want, specifically?
- To weigh less (DUH) but there's more...
- To have more muscle, look more toned
- To lose inches in my problem areas (OK, I'm not going to get THAT specific with you going into further detail)
- To feel more energy
- To feel more confident

B - Solving - I need to come up with a PLAN for each of those components...
- To weigh less means that I want to eat less junk and more nutritious foods in smaller portions.  To do that, I am going to get rid of and stop buying junk food, and start buying healthier options.  I am going to try to drink my Shakeology EVERY DAY to flood my body with nutrients and to push cravings for junk away.  To control portions, I am going to start using my 21 Day Fix portion control containers again to monitor what I think a serving of something really is.
- To have more muscle and look more toned, I need to exercise more.  To do that, I am starting up my after-school club with teachers at my school to schedule workouts so that I am more likely to stick to them.  I am going to set aside my kids' bathtime to fit short workout moves in to hit focus areas.
- To lose inches in my problem areas, I am going to be SPECIFIC about what exercise programs I am doing, so that I combine burning calories with building muscle.  I can do that in my Beachbody On Demand (it's like Netflix for Beachbody workout programs) so that I am being more efficient.
- By exercising and eating healthier, I will have more energy.  By losing weight and gaining muscle, I will feel more confident.

C - The Act of Determining.  WELL, maybe that's been a big problem for me in the past.  I'm really determined at first, but then that determination fades.

Over the summer, I had the opportunity to go to Beachbody's Summit Conference with one of my best friends where I had a bunch of trainings, heard motivational speeches, and learned a whole ton about a whole lot of things.  But one shining moment was to do a master workout session with Body Beast and Hammer and Chisel super trainer Sagi Kalev.  He was big on positive affirmations, something that I haven't had much experience with, and his biggest one was a very simple, but very powerful phrase - "I CAN.  I WILL.  I MUST."  I even got to shout that out, for him, by myself at the end of the workout session, when he awarded a type of motivation to me, as someone "low, who needs to go high" in my goals.  It felt amazing!

I think that's the heart of determination.  Making plans and sticking to them.  Holding yourself accountable.  For me, my friends, my facebook challenge groups, my coworkers, my family, and THIS BLOG are helping me to do that.  And I think THAT's where the difference can be.  It's easy to put words on a page, it's LIVING those choices day in and day out, one step at a time, that will keep you involved.  Make several small goals and set due dates, and constantly monitor your progress.  Put quotes and pictures up near your printed out resolution, outlined with your plans of action.  And please, share them with me and let me know how you're doing along the way!

 


            Happy New Year Everyone!!!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Introduction

Day 76 - I Have A Fever... And The Only Cure Is More Girl Scout Cookies

Day 50 - Shake It Up To Shake Things Up